Thursday, July 02, 2009

Sometime bitter resentment can be hilarious.

Take country music, for instance. I mean, maybe I'm a bad person for laughing at a song about suffering, but really, a lot of the stuff that they played at the Palace of Rock was waaay over the top. "I gave my wedding dress away"? Never fails to make me laugh. Kind of a "Wow, your life really sucks!" Or better yet, what Angie and I came up with, the sub-genre of country that's "men whining about their morally bankrupt wives/girlfriends". ("Mental Cruelty...that's what she said that day...") But some of it...god, I can't describe how horrible it is...and funny. ("Just remember, life turned her that way...I hate to admit it, but that last footprint's mine.") I think the best one is the "Will your lawyer talk to God?" It packs quite the bitter resentment punch. Seriously, there's some fucked up shit in those songs, and it's a beautiful thing.

And really, if people get mad that I could laugh at this stuff, the thing is, if your life is summed up in these songs, you need to rethink your life.

All I can say is, I will always enjoy "You ain't woman enough to take my man". And "Hey Mister Bartender" is great ditty too.

No comments: