Friday, August 16, 2002

Of Just Randomness...

I overheard a conversation in the bar the other night, when I was drinking alone. It was just after the incredible tale of Superhero Bartender who cornered a bunch of punks vandalizing a person's yard:
Woman: I don't get it.
Man: I'm asking how you feel about us.
W: What do you mean by that?
M: There's a word that describes it. Exclusitivity.
W: Oh. (Takes a sip of her drink. There's a moment of silence.) I like you a lot. I really like you.

(That's not what he asked, but that was an interesting answer.)

M: But how would you feel?
W: I'd be jealous. I'm the jealous type. That's because I like you. A lot.
M: So then what about us?
W: *sighs* I know what you're getting at. I don't know if I want to talk about it. Would it be great? Yeah, it would. But you have to understand that I have trouble trusting people enough with anything. Do I want that? Yes I do. Remember? I said I was tired of going home with other guys from the bar and that I was looking for a boyfriend. I was serious about that. The thing is, if that's not what you want, then I don't know how to react. You're asking me these things without telling me how you feel about them. So what then? We hint around until it becomes pointless? Or do we actually tell each other what our expectations are? I prefer to have a boyfriend, I would like it to be you, but if you just want to get in my pants, then just say so. I'm not stupid. I mean, of course I'll be hurt if you just want to get laid, because I do like you more than that, but if it's not that serious between us, then I have no rights to really say anything. Not my place. I don't get jealous very often and when I do, it more than makes up for what I treat with indifference. And this would make me jealous. So I'd back off so as not to offend you. But I don't know what you're intentions are when you ask me these things. Why don't you tell me what you're thinking about that?

But before I could hear the rest (I was bored, after all), Beady Eyes came in and sat down next to me. Oh, well, at least maybe I could squeeze somewhat of a poem out of that. Hell, I did when it was two people talking about honesty in serious tones to the point that you knew one was going to break up with the other. Sometimes the bar is rather amusing.

No comments: