Monday, May 13, 2002

What's Up With the Boys?

I am in the coffee shop, reading an interesting book and not really paying attention to anything. Suddenly, a Fuel Cafe mug enters my line of vision, the person attached to that cup purposely sets it down loudly. I look up.

"Hey, there," I say, recognizing the person, my friend The Writer. (He's trying to write a book.)

"Hey," he says, smiling.

"Where in the world have you been? I haven't seen you around for months. What've you been up to?"

And then we sat and chit-chatted some. He's actually not that bad of a person. Older, of course, but still humorous. Actually, if I think about it, maybe that's the reason I hang out with older people. I have the cynicism of a 30 or 40 year old. I learned the art of cynicism at my mother's knee, my formative years were during the time when she was in her 40's and 50's. Now she's approaching 60 in a few, short years. What twenty years will do to a person. I'm not afraid of growing old; I'm afraid of becoming closed-minded and set in my ways. I'm afraid of becoming the "you damn kids" old person. Sadly, I find myself saying that now about some of the teenagers I meet. Then again, when I was teenager, I was saying it about my contemparies...maybe it's not so much younger people than it is some of the dumb behavior I witnessed. I am a person who believes in freedom but I also think that with that freedom comes responsibilites that must be taken care of. I guess I'm just weird like that.

That, and I like The Writer. He's interesting. And guess what? He's moving out of state. Grrrr.

No comments: