Friday, September 06, 2002

Excuses...I Mean, Reasons

"Well, I'm looking for a roommate. You could move in with me."

"How much is rent?"

(And he gives a figure that I can't very well afford.)

"Well, I only make [paltry amount here]. It's not bad, but I don't think I could."

"Oh."

"Besides, I've got lots of stuff. It won't all fit in that little room."

"I thinking of getting a new couch anyway...."

[Later in coversation]

"I would have to say no."

"Oh? Why?"

"I don't want to explain. I just wouldn't be able to. I have my reasons." One: clutter. Two: space. I need lots of it. Three: Moving in with him, even if it's just to help him temporarily with rent, even if it would only be a month or two, smacks a bit of commitment to me, given the way I feel about him. I am afraid of commitment. I will only go so far. Hell, I nearly got married. I know it's not a commitment (we're not even dating), but still, that idea is too weird for me. But on the other hand, it wouldn't be that bad. I wouldn't be afraid of anyone stealing anything from me. I would be able to drink on the fire escape and watch the sunset. I could start my nomadic ways now, live there for a bit and move on....

No comments: