Wednesday, February 20, 2002

A Funny

Scene: A short man and a shorter woman walk up to the counter at the bus station. A clerk sits behind the counter and in front of a computer. The two people are the only people at the counter.

Man: Um, do you have, um, a bus that goes to uh, [Somewhere, Texas]?

Clerk: Yes, I do. I have one that leaves tonight at 8 pm and another that leaves tomorrow at 7 pm.

Man: Uh, how much would it cost for two people to go?

Clerk: Two hundred and forty-seven dollars.

Man [pauses, then with straight face and serious tone]: Is that for, like, me and another person?

[A pause. Woman bursts out laughing. Clerk begins to chuckle. Man is confused.]

Man: What?

Woman: I can't BELIEVE you just said that!

**************
One day, I'm going to write a musical or a stage play about my life. This scene actually took place and my friend didn't really understand the dumb question he'd asked until I started to laugh. To this day, we still joke about it, and if he gets a bit too overconfident (which is quite a bit, let me assure you), I remind him of this little scene by saying, "Is that for, like, me and another person?"

No comments: