Saturday, September 19, 2009

Today's activity is getting in touch with my inner teenager. Yes, I'm over 30.

Of all the music that I have and that I've lost and stuff...I totally forgot about REM's Green. It was my favorite to play, and I love just about every song on it. I don't know when I lost the CD...but hearing "World Leader Pretend" on not just one but two of my tapes brought it all back.

I am happy that I rediscovered it.

"Dreams they complicate my life"

Who could forget "Stand"? I spent many, many hours listening to that, TMBG, Depeche Mode. Oh, and "You Are Everything"? Awesome song, more like a poem. The only thing that sucks is that Erasure's Crackers International is rare, and no one's got it...so I guess I'll copy it from my brother's collection. I really hope that he still has it, because there's a couple of songs on it that I love.

"The Hardest Part" That song is beautiful. *sings* "That's the hardest part of it all, for you, is to live your life with nothing at all..." As is a particular version of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence". God, I think about all that music that I listened to when I was a preteen/teen, and I've forgotten those songs, cast aside by shiny newer music, but now it feels more that I've come full circle on it.

All because I lost my iPod, and I can't stand the radio, so I had to resort to tapes. Old tapes, at that. And sometimes the past becomes the future, a younger self talks to the older self, and maybe all we have is memories, but sometimes memories can pave the way for some future better. Reconnection of what was lost or forgotten to the present and to dream in stereo, in color, and to remember who we were and hopefully who we are is a better version.

"This is my world,
And I am the World Leader Pretend.
This is my life, and this is my time,
I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit.
It’s high time I razed the walls that I’ve constructed."

No comments: