Monday, September 07, 2009

Ah, breakfast. My favorite meal of the day. I sometimes make elaborate creations, because nothing is more awesome than starting your day with yum.

One that I like that isn't necessarily breakfasty is black bean soup with poached eggs. Today, though, I used the curried noodles I made last night and threw two fried eggs on them. Pleasant and yummy, slightly spicy but doesn't burn your taste buds clear off your tongue.

I share my dad's love of non-meat-and-potatoes food. That's not to mean that I don't enjoy a good steak every now and again. And I'm very fond of spicy...why I dated two guys who hated spicy is a mystery I'll never solve. It's just not the same if you have to add hot sauce to the chili after it's done cooking.

(Heh, on a side note, when ExFiancee first had chili over at our house, he damn near died. The three of us were looking at him like "What's wrong? Why are you crying?" and he managed to squeak out that it was too hot. From that day forward, my mom set a non-spicy bowl aside for him, while the rest of us waited the extra minutes for the "normal" stuff. He learned to ask, "Is this spicy?" before sampling anything potentially spicy in our house. Because "too spicy" in our house was that your mouth went numb and you couldn't taste anything for three days. And then I managed to date someone again who couldn't handle spicy. BAH, I say. It's just not the same without Sriracha. Tabasco's for people who have no taste buds and want to burn them off anyway in a vinegary solution.)

But now that I'm thinking about it, we never really salted anything in our house. We used garlic, ginger, other spices, hot sauce...but never really salt. My mom didn't believe in it. I mean, I may add a pinch here or there, but that's more than my mom would do. (I'd sometimes sneak into the kitchen, take a taste, and throw in a pinch if it needed it.) I watch the Food Network, and my mouth curls at the sheer amount of salt they put in things. You don't need to put salt into scrambled eggs, they're fine on their own. Cook 'em in butter if you want a lot of flavor.

And this whole long-winded thing got started because since I have time on my hands, I'll make myself elaborate breakfasts. The thing is, I'm also really lazy. The dishes are piling up, and I'm far too lazy to put them in the dishwasher. And then I won't feel like making anything because then I'll have to try to make something on a crowded counter. Which means then I'll sit around and debate with myself on whether I should go get something, but that would require dressing, and I'm too lazy to get dressed, but I'm really hungry...and oh look! There's a power bar! That'll hold me for another hour or two!

I wouldn't win a gold medal for laziness, but I still get lazy every now and again.

No comments: