Sunday, January 27, 2002

Drama!

I remember going to coffee houses and having fun. That was at least eight years ago. Things have changed now that I actually have friends that I've met only in the coffee houses. It still is fun to sit and talk to people while drinking lots of coffee. But since I've met the real life soap opera, sitting around seems to be a little...well...boring. Maybe I should explain....

There's a young girl who is in love with a much older man. She's a typical teenager with many, many problems. There's a boy there who is loud and obnoxious but don't let that fool you, it's just a cover. He's not from here, he comes from the state of insanity, and he's recently discovered that he actually likes to dress in drag. Then there's a girl who is just as insane but she's not as harmless. Beware of your belongings, they might just disappear when she's around. And even if they do disappear, she will deny that she has them. Trust me, she probably does have them. Oh, and while we're at it, don't pay attention to her. She will latch onto you like a leech and not let go. In the past three months that I've known her, she's gone to the hospital at least four times. Don't worry, it's nothing serious...unless you count hypocondria as a real medical condition. (I do.) There is a woman who I think is the most beautiful creature on earth, she is that pretty. She and her boyfriend have problems since they started going out. New relationships always have adjustment periods. Another central figure at this place is an interesting old man. He's not old as in "older than the hills"; he's old in that he is older than I am. Besides, old is a relative term. I know twelve year olds that think I'm really old. Then there is the Artist. He is always drawing or sketching. He's going through a rough period in life right now and I hope that soon he will be happy. I consider him one of my better friends. And now that I'm done with individual people, I'd like to explain the mobs. These are the people who always show up in groups. The first is a group that I would like to name "The Death Squad". Rest assured that they wouldn't kill you. They like to paint themselves up with all sorts of symbols, goth and demonic, and listen to death metal. Not everyone in their house does this, just the two main characters. I'm friends with them in the way that I'm not enemies with them. I'm also good friends with two of the people in that house, but these are the friends I never see or talk to much. One is never around, really; she's working on growing up and I'm pretty sure she will. The other...well, that's a story and a half. He's a lot like me, in a way, and that's all I can say about him. The other group is the anarchists. They go dumpster diving, they try not to bathe too often, but in general, they're a nice sort. They are also activists and idealists. For a realist like me, that is a line bordering between fantasy and just plain hopeful thinking. But I salute them nonetheless - there should always be at least one cause to fight for. Then there are the "children". These are the teenagers who are typical hormonal kids. They live in their own teenage universe. (I am not being mean. I remember being a teenager.) Some of them are incredibly annoying - they chew on flavored condoms, leave gigantic messes for the cafe staff to clean up (there's a sign that clearly states "Bus your table"), light things (candy wrappers, napkins, plastic, straws, paper, sugar packets, etc.) on fire...you get the idea. It's ten times worse when they're on drugs. Then they beg someone - usually me - to get them a glass of water. If any life is the epitome of drama, it's the teenage life.

And where do I fit in?

The answer - I don't. I'm the quiet girl in the corner. Rarely do people come to see me...they are always asking if I've seen someone else. Sometimes they even say hello to me. I am the quiet non-entity in the corner writing poetry, writing in a journal, writing a story. I am there for my own benefit but sometimes someone needs to have a serious conversation. I listen to people when they have problems. When I get bored of observing or listening, I tend to gravitate to the bar, where I am known and where I have fun. Maybe that's why, with all of the drama I see, I don't watch the soaps. (hehehehehe)

No comments: