Saturday, January 19, 2002

A New Perspective On Life
I have to share something with the world. This is the stuff chain letter emails are made out of:
My sister-in-law just had her baby. This was a very anticipated baby, as she was dying to have a kid. My brother was really excited, too, thinking he'd put her - because that is what they wanted, a girl - in his backpack and take her everywhere. (Why his backpack, I have absolutely no idea, and I'm chuckling pretty hard right now.)
A moving, isn't-that-really-nice, statement. But there's a catch...
My sister-in-law was at work and her water broke, which was very alarming considering the due date was in mid-April. She was a little over six months along. When she got to the hospital, they were going to try to keep her from having the baby, basically committing her to bedrest until it was born. Their strategy didn't work...and my new neice was born. She's nearly three pounds. Almost a tragic story right there - except for the fact that this little baby was born kicking and screaming. The baby, in the less than 24 hours it has been alive, has already bitten the doctor and kicked herself, thereby nearly disloging the umbilical cord, because the doctors were trying to insert a breathing tube and she got mad. Lord only knows how this child will be...if how we are born determines our path in life, she will be a fighter. And there are many more fights for her to win - I hope - in the next coming months. I pray that she will be alright.
But there's my contribution to sentimentality. And the next time I hear "Life sucks" at my coffee shop, I'll just remind everyone how life truly does hang in the balance, especially when we begin. Don't think that it's less than a miracle that we are born. And that's enough moralizing for today. Next time: Bars. I hang out in them enough. And my good friends at the bar told me to write about them. Hehehehehehehe. So I will.

No comments: