Friday, August 25, 2006

[Help Desk Dude]: So what's your problem?

[Me]: Well, I just got a new computer, and one of the programs isn't working.

[HDD]: Which one?

[Me]: Well, the [Really Important Program]. I need it to perform my main job function.

[HDD]: (clicking in background) Ah, I see. Ok, we'll need to reinstall it.

[A few moments of clickity-clack and setting up NetMeeting so that he can control my computer.]

[HDD]: Well, let's try installing [RIP], since it failed the first time. (clicks on program)

[Several minutes later...]

[HDD]: Wow, that's taking a long time.

[Me]: Yeah. I also don't know if you have to install something else first, or what.

[HDD]: Huh. [Noises in background.] Wow, it just got pitch black here.

[Background Voices]: "Whoa! It's dark out there!" "Isn't there some kind of warning?" "I think we should be moving to the second floor or something...aren't we supposed to?" "So where do we go?" "Well, isn't it supposed to get darker earlier this time of year?" (Pitch black. In August. At 6 pm. In Minnesota.)

[Me]: What's going on up there?

[HDD]: It got really dark all of a sudden. There's been warnings and stuff all day.

[Me]: You know, if you have to suddenly leave, that's okay....

[HDD]: Nah, there's just been warnings.

[Me]: Well, really, if you have to go...you can go.

[HDD]: [More clickity-clack.] I think I'm going to stop this program and try reinstalling the other [RIP].

No comments: